Keeping your Internet browser up-to-date is important for both security and ensuring that web pages load properly. We also recommend that you update any plug-ins, extensions, or other add-ons you have installed.\
The following document covers the steps required to update your browser. Select your browser from the list below and follow the instructions:
Google Chrome will update automatically as new iterations are released to the public. To verify that your version of Chrome is the latest or update it manually, follow these steps:
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Click the Customize and control Google Chrome button in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, select Help, then select About Google Chrome.
- The window that appears will automatically check for updates and show you the current version of Chrome. If an update is available, Chrome will be updated automatically. After Chrome is updated, click the RELAUNCH option to restart Chrome and complete the update.
Tip: Users may enter the chrome://chrome/ into the omnibox (Chrome address bar) to achieve the same result.
Note: Download latest version of Chrome from the official Google Chrome download page: https://www.google.com/chrome
Mozilla Firefox should automatically download updates and prompt you when they are available to install. To verify that your version of Firefox is the latest or update it manually, follow these steps:
- Open the Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Click the Open menu button in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- In the menu that appears, click the Help option at the bottom.
- Select About Firefox.
- The window that appears will automatically check for updates and show you the current version of Firefox. If an update is available, you can click the Restart to update Firefox button to install the update.
Note: Download the latest version of Firefox from the official Firefox download page: https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/
If you have Apple updates turned on, Safari should stay up-to-date automatically. To verify that your version of Safari is the latest or update manually, follow these steps:
- Open the Apple menu and choose App Store.
- In the top of the window that appears, click the Updates button in the toolbar.
- Find Safari and click Update (or Update all to do every app).
Note: Download the latest version of Safari from the official Safari download page: https://support.apple.com/safari
The Microsoft Edge browser is tied to Windows 10 and consequently, so are its updates. To update the Edge browser, you need to update Windows with the steps below.
- Press the Windows Key, type Check for updates, and then press Enter.
- Under the Update status section, select Check for updates.
Microsoft updates Internet Explorer using its Windows update feature. As long as you are regularly installing the latest Windows updates from Microsoft, you should have the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Tip: Automatic updates are always enabled in Windows 10. Microsoft Edge, which replaces Internet Explorer in Windows 10, will be kept up-to-date automatically.
Note: Download the latest version of Internet Explorer from the official Microsoft Internet Explorer download page: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/
If you do not have Windows automatic updates enabled in Windows 8 and earlier versions, you need to update Internet Explorer on your computer manually by following these steps:
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click on and open the Windows Update utility.
- In the left navigation pane, click the Check for updates link.
- You can choose to install all available updates or select the updates you want to install.